Best Meditation Apps
Recharge and relax, improve focus, and more.
Meditation is a great way to refocus and center yourself, but with life being as hectic and distracting as it is today, it can be an unusually difficult task to master. Enter meditation apps, technology-based guides that can help make meditation easier and more intuitive, whether you’re a first-time meditator or seasoned pro who’s let their meditation muscle atrophy.
Meditation can certainly help relax you when you’re stressed, but that’s just one of its benefits. With regular practice, you can learn to shut out the noise of modern life and be present without having to take a trip to a remote tropical island. While there are plenty of guided meditations on YouTube, meditation apps streamline the process, helping you achieve new levels of meditation prowess. Here are some of our top picks.
The 7 Best Meditation Apps of 2021
- Best Overall: Calm
- Best Budget: Insight Timer
- Best for Sleep: Headspace: Meditation & Sleep
- Best for Beginners: Ten Percent Happier Meditation
- Best Guided: Buddhify
- Best For Focus: Unplug
- Best Selection: Simple Habit
- Cost: Calm offers a seven-day free trial with annual membership for around $70. Or, if you want meditations for life, you can pay about $400 for indefinite access to the app.
- App Features: Calming background sounds and short meditations
Why We Chose It: We chose Calm because it’s a flexible app with less structured programs and exercises that help manage anxiety.PROS
- App offers more individual exercises
- Less structured
- Calming sounds in background
- Simple to follow
- Need a subscription
- App isn’t the most intuitive
What are you working through? Anxious thoughts? Lack of focus? A stressed-out psyche? Calm’s guided meditations have you covered. More than that, though, the app really focuses on teaching you a variety of tools and using different modalities to help you stay centered throughout the day-to-day.
Calm stands out from the crowd because of its well-being offerings beyond that of its already impressive meditation catalog. Their newest offering is Calm Body, which are 10-minute guided videos that teach gentle stretching to help you unwind. One of the best features is “Sleep Stories,” which feature bedtime stories read by the soothing voices of celebs (like Matthew McConaughey).
Looking for more ideas? Take a peek at our roundup of the best meditation books.
BEST BUDGETInsight Timer
- Cost: Free access to thousands of meditations. Premium is about $60 per year or roughly $10 per month.
- App Features: Over 45,000 free meditations.
Why We Chose It: We chose Insight Timer because it has a giant library of free meditations which you can filter by what you’re looking for.PROS
- Over 45,000 free meditations
- Easy to search and filter content
- Free seven day intro course
- Free community of meditators
- Not the most intuitive app
- Too many choices overwhelms some users
- Technical glitches
Insight Timer offers more than 45K free meditations—that’s a big deal, as one of the biggest complaints about other apps is their lack of free content. The library allows you to filter by need (e.g. stress, sleep, self-esteem), time (from five minutes to 30+ minutes), or specific benefit (e.g. relationships, spiritual, kids). If you’re just getting started, opt for the seven-day free course on how to meditate. You can also join the community of fellow mindful folks for free.
BEST FOR SLEEPHeadspace Meditation & Sleep
- Cost: Headspace offers a two-week free trial. An annual subscription is about $70 and a monthly membership costs around $13.
- App Features: Meditation guides for all levels.
Why We Chose It: We chose Headspace for its user-friendly interface with hundreds of guided meditations for beginners to experts.PROS
- User-friendly app
- Guided for beginners
- Cues to cope with external sounds
- 100s of meditations to choose from
- Membership is a bit expensive
- Need a subscription
- Not great for the less tech-minded
If you’re the type whose mind gets lost in worry (or flooded with to-do lists) the minute your head hits the pillow, then Headspace should be your go-to. This app provides breathing exercises, sleep meditations, and wind-down practices. The screen is dimmed, so there’s no blaring, headache-inducing bright light.
While the app is free, you’ll want to take advantage of the subscription to access the all-important sleepcasts to help get your mind ready for sleep.
Check out our reviews of the best books for anxiety.
BEST FOR BEGINNERSTen Percent Happier Meditation
- Cost: Free, seven-day trial; about $100 annually.
- App Features: Experts available for questions.
Why We Chose It: We selected Ten Percent Happier because it offers beginner guides for people who aren’t sure about meditationPROS
- Good for sleep and stress
- Experts available for questions
- 100s of meditations available Easy to use
- Above average membership cost
- Not great for more advanced meditators
Based on ABC news anchor Dan Harris’s popular book, this app will teach you the how-to behind meditating in a fun, easy, and accessible way. It’s suited for anyone, but especially those who think they’re “not the meditation type” and can’t find the time to start a meditation practice.
You’ll be lead through short on-the-go meditations designed to be listened to whenever you can fit them in (like during your commute). Try to see how many consecutive “Mindful Days” you rack up: with time, these moments of calm will come second nature.
- Cost: About $5, plus in-app purchases.
- App Features: “Wheel” of meditation practices. meditation practices.
Why We Chose It: Buddhify stands out because of its targeted meditations for whatever mental health situation you need help with.PROS
- Over 200 targeted meditations
- Easy to use
- “Wheel” of meditation practices
- Timer to meditate without guidance
- No desktop version
- Have to pay to use the app
What’s going on with you now? Right now? Whether you’re grabbing a minute in between to-do’s at work, taking a walk, boarding a plane, or dealing with overwhelming feelings, this app has a targeted meditation (over 200 of them) waiting for you.
It’s super easy to use—you can create your own “wheel” of meditation practices for quick access when you need them. Each one lasts four to 30 minutes, so you can find time to meditate no matter how swamped you are. As you advance in your skill, you can use their timer to meditate on your own without guidance.
BEST FOR FOCUSUnplug
- Cost: About $8 per month, $60 per year.
- App Features: Meditation timer, progress tracker.
Why We Chose It: We chose Unplug because it offers short and long meditations that help address anxiety and stress.PROS
- Expert guides to tackle mental health issues
- Intuitive design
- Seven day free trial
- Meditation timer
- Progress tracker
- Have to pay to keep using the app
- Somewhat expensive
If you have five minutes, you have enough time to meditate. Unplug excels in guided meditations but also allows you to self-direct with unobtrusive timers and ambient sounds. Because just a few minutes are required, it’s great to use when you need to refocus and destress during the workday. Want to commit? Tackle their 30-day challenge to make meditation a daily habit for the long haul.
BEST SELECTIONSimple Habit
- Cost: Free, about $12 a month, $90 a year, $300 a lifetime for premium.
- App Features: Five-minute meditations, bedtime stories.
Why We Chose It: We selected Simple Habit because it offers free, short meditations from top mindfulness experts.PROS
- Five-minute meditations
- Expert guides
- Bedtime stories
- Not many longer meditation offerings
- Need to pay to unlock all features
No matter your meditation goal—to boost self-confidence, shake off anxiety, get over a breakup, or simply be present—Simple Habit has an extensive library of meditations, all cataloged and easy to find. You’ll love how each meditation is very specifically titled, making mindfulness something you can turn to for any occasion.
One of the big perks of their premium subscription is that you can use the app offline, which makes catching a few minutes of mindfulness even more accessible. It may even be necessary for your mental health, too. The app offers special meditations designed to help you overcome panic attacks or lessen stress.
All the meditation apps on this list aim to help you harness the healing powers of meditation with the swipe of a finger. Whether you’re a meditation newbie or a seasoned pro looking for some structure, there’s an app for you that can help streamline the meditation process and answer any questions you may have along the way. However, only one app could be our top pick, and that is Calm.
Calm is an incredibly flexible app that offers lots of individual exercises that target common mental health issues from anxiety to lack of focus. It also has a number of tools to help you retain that meditative focus throughout your day. While it’s not the most inexpensive, it’s reasonably priced considering all that it offers, including bedtime stories read by favorite celebs.
Compare The Best Meditation Apps
|Best Mental Health Apps||Cost||Features|
|CalmBest Overall||Annual membership is $70. Meditations for life is $400||Flexible app with short meditations|
|Insight TimerBest Budget||Free or premium is $10 per month, $60 per year||Over 45,000 free meditations|
|HeadspaceBest for Sleep||$13 per month or $70 per year||Meditation guides for all levels|
|10% HappierBest for Beginners||$100 Annually||User-friendly app and website|
|BuddhifyBest Guided||$5, plus in-app purchases||“Wheel” of meditation practices|
|UnplugBest for Focus||$8 per month, $60 per year||Live-recorded meditation sessions|
|Simple HabitBest Selection||Free, $12 per month, $90 per year, $300 a lifetime for premium||5-minute meditations|
How Do Meditation Apps Work?
Meditation apps help you learn and master various meditation skills like focused deep breathing, mental clarity and being present. They do this by offering various tech tools like mood trackers, expert guided meditations, meditation timers and a community of fellow meditators.
What Are the Benefits of Using a Meditation App?
Practicing meditation through a meditation app helps you tune into your body and stay in the present moment with exercises and expert advice. Being mindful through meditation has been shown to help improve your focus on tasks in everyday life as well as process new information. Using an app as a guide while you meditate can also help you build up your meditation skill set, which may in turn help you access a calm, focused state in your day-to-day life more easily.
Are Meditation Apps Worth It?
While self-meditation or using more basic online guides can certainly help you meditate, apps have the advantage of providing intuitive tools, like trackers, that can help keep you accountable and improve over time. Many also offer expert support at the touch of a button in case you have questions as you practice.
Article taken from: https://www.verywellmind.com/best-meditation-apps-4767322
CHRISTIAN PRAYER APPS
How can Christians meditate daily? Christians meditate daily by finding the time of day that suits them best, finding a space to be alone with the Lord, and then dedicating that time to meditate on Scripture. These 7 meditation apps will help you, as a Christian, to meditate daily.
Pay close attention to the uses of each app and the description that you’ll find for each one. We think you’ll like what you find.
“Abide is the #1 Christian meditation app that helps you sleep better and stress less. Find deep rest with our bedtime stories, as you listen to stories based on the Bible. Wake up with our daily meditations that will fuel your mind for the day ahead. Join the millions of people meditating with Abide- including Grammy award-winning singers, church leaders, and Christian therapists”.
Uses of the App:
- Overcoming anxiety and worry
- Conquering depression
- Managing stress
- Discovering purpose
- Finding happiness
- Addiction recovery
- Relationship, Finance, and Health challenges
- Books of the Bible
2. The Bible App – YouVersion
“The Bible App lets you explore the Bible with your closest friends. Share honest conversations about Scripture with a community of people you know and trust. Learn along with them as you see what they’re discovering”.
Although this is not a “meditation” app, this app is all about Scripture, which is the basis of Christian meditation.
Uses of the App:
- Set your Bible App’s interface for your choice of more than 30 languages.
- Easily select from hundreds of Bible versions, in over 775 languages.
- Choose from popular versions like the NIV, NASB, ESV, NKJV, NLT, KJV, The Message, and more.
- Listen to audio Bibles and enjoy all-new skip, playback speed, and timer controls. (Audio Bibles available for select versions and are not downloadable).
- Hundreds of Plans: you’ll find devotionals, as well as Plans that lead you through specific topics, portions of the Bible, or even the entire Bible in a year.
3. Insight Timer
“The number 1 free meditation app. Guided meditations and talks led by the world’s top meditation and mindfulness experts, neuroscientists, psychologists and teachers from Stanford, Harvard, the University of Oxford and more. Music tracks from world-renowned artists. Join millions learning to meditate on Insight Timer to help calm the mind, reduce anxiety, manage stress, sleep deeply and improve happiness”.
Although this app is not specifically Christian, we believe that one would be able to hold to Christian meditation values while using this app.
Uses of the App:
- Thousands of guided meditations
- Select by time for short meditations when on the go, helping you to build a simple daily habit
- Thousands of music tracks and ambient sounds to calm the mind, focus, sleep better and relax
- The world’s most popular meditation Timer
- Follow your favorite teachers
- Thousands of discussion groups and community features
- Stats and milestones for tracking your progress
- Integration with Apple Health Mindful Minutes
4. Soultime Christian Meditation
“Soultime is your go-to Christian meditation app for daily meditations, relaxation and anxiety relief. The Soultime meditation app offers a full suite of innovative tools to bring more clarity and contentment to your life in just a few minutes every day. Soultime is about finding true rest for your soul. Deeper than mindfulness, Soultime offers a style of daily meditation that touches not just your mind but your heart and soul. The Soultime app brings the tradition of Christian meditation up to date in a beautiful, modern, emotionally aware app”.
Uses of the App:
- Reducing Anxiety and Stress
- Better Sleep
- Becoming a Powerful Person
- Forgiveness and Emotional Clarity
- Overcoming Disappointment
5. Whispers Christian Meditation
“Transform your heart & mind with Whispers from God, the Christian Meditation App created to help you align your soul with God’s Word (the Holy Bible). Grow your relationship with Christ and find peace, as you incorporate Bible Meditation into your daily routine.
Beautiful and very easy to use, Whispers from God has been designed to help you renew your mind as you begin each morning and calm your mind before each night’s rest. Daily meditations, which include scripture readings, are designed to help you through anxiety, fear, hurt, relationships and more. These meditations will encourage you to quiet your mind and allow you to focus your attention on what God’s Word says about you and your life”.
Uses of the App:
- Receive encouragement through daily guided bible meditations
- Over 170 Topical meditations, designed to guide you through different facets of life
- Find hope in hearing the scriptures
- Reduce your stress and fight anxiety/depression with the truth of God’s Word
- Fall asleep quicker by quieting your mind with sleep sounds and scripture readings
- Wake up refreshed and renewed
- Draw closer in your relationship with God and abide by his Word
- More wisdom and understanding of the scriptures
- Improve your relationships with family, friends, and co-workers
- Join the Whispers from God Community
6. Hope – Christian Meditation
“Hope is the best way to find peace and happiness right where you are! Our fun and inviting style makes meditation easy; covering everything from sleep and relaxation to stress and anxiety.
Learn to live a life of intention, not just reaction and experience God’s love in your life. Like an audio daily devotional or a guided prayer, our meditations help you find peace. Our FREE 12-day Foundation package will teach you the basics of Christian Mindfulness and how to implement this new skill in your day-to-day life. Whether you are struggling to sleep at night or just need a little help winding down at the end of the day, Hope can help! We have mediations on just about everything!”.
Uses of the App:
- Get the physical benefits of meditation, with the added benefit of growing your faith
- A welcoming and inviting meditation style that is accessible to both devout Christians and those who are spiritually seeking or curious
- Taught by a professional meditation expert who has years of experience both practicing and teaching many different forms of meditation
- Easier to fit into a schedule than reading a daily devotional
- Access to meditations for a specific emotion or life experience
- Sleep better & live a happier, more fulfilled life
- Makes connecting daily with God a fun, easy, & accessible experience
- Create a new healthy habit
- Different mediation style than any other app on the market
“At ChristAudio we’re much more than an ordinary Christian meditation app. Using proven meditation and techniques we’ll show you how to train your mind to be more united with Christ. Living in unity with Christ more love, peace, and power will find it’s way into your life”.
Article from: http://Justdisciple.com/christian-meditation-daily/